Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Gad Luang, Post II: Insectfest

What are you holding there Luke? And what do you seem so excited to chomp down on?

One of the loudest, most excited, and best pieces of advice I received when embarking on this Thai journey was to sample all the foods I encountered. At Gad Luang, I encountered a whole bunch of things that used creep and crawl... That's right, meal worms, grubs, crickets, and bigger crickets (the size of cicadas). What is more, our assignment paper encouraged us to sample some fried insects. Could I resist?

A whole bunch of us getting ready to plunge our nibblers into gargantuan fried cricket corpses.

Luke and I glance at each other, knowing that whatever the part that is stuck between our teeth, it sure don't taste like chicken.



Culinary note: While I would consider the meal worms ill-tasting, the crickets - especially the larger ones - actually tasted kind of good. Except for the wings...


No comments:

Post a Comment